Do you love potatoes? And are you on a weight loss mission? Then, you must switch to a sweet potato diet, because they are not only a healthy substitute and easy to cook but also aid weight loss. The sweet potato diet, as the name suggests, requires you to incorporate sweet potatoes into your diet. It is really a puzzle why potatoes are considered fattening and sweet potatoes as slimming! But if you look the following reasons, you will hold the key to this puzzle. Here’s what you need to know.
How Sweet Potatoes Aid Weight Loss
- Low in Calories
Sweet potatoes are low in calories – 100 grams contain about 86 calories and about 100 calories per serving. But 100 grams of peeled potato contain 110 calories or 400 calories per serving! Clearly, consuming sweet potato will keep your calorie consumption in check and your taste buds alive.
- High Fiber Content
Sweet potatoes are rich in dietary fiber. Dietary fiber aids weight loss by forming a gel-like mesh in the stomach, which makes you feel full and prevents you from overeating. It also encapsulates the fat molecules and prevents fat absorption, promotes stool movement in the colon, and aids the production of good gut bacteria.
- Low Glycemic Index
It is a number that indicates how the food affects the blood glucose levels after consuming it. When the GI is high, it means that the food causes a spike in the blood sugar levels, which can lead to obesity, diabetes, etc. So, you must keep this point in mind when you cook sweet potatoes.
- High Water Content
The high water content in sweet potato is another reason for it being an effective weight loss aiding food. Dehydration slows down your metabolism. And consuming sweet potato helps rehydrate your cells and kick-starts metabolism. This, in turn, prevents your body from accumulating fat, balances the internal pH, and flushes out toxins.
- Antioxidant Property
The orange or purple hue in sweet potatoes indicates the presence of carotenoids or anthocyanins. These phytochemical are antioxidants. Sweet potatoes contain many other antioxidants like copper/zinc superoxide dismutase, catalase, and sporamins. These antioxidants help protect the body by preventing DNA mutation by the harmful oxygen radicals.
These are the reasons sweet potatoes are recommended for weight loss.
Foods to Eat While You Are On the Sweet Potato Diet
- Veggies– Broccoli, beetroot, celery, parsnip, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, carrot, cauliflower, spinach, kale, collard greens, radish greens, rocket spinach, and radish.
- Fruits– Apple, banana, kiwi, grapes, pineapple, peach, plum, papaya, watermelon, and muskmelon.
- Protein– Chicken breast, ground turkey, mushroom, tofu, fish, eggs, beans, and legumes.
- Dairy– Full-fat milk, full-fat yogurt, goat cheese, and buttermilk.
- Nuts And Seeds– Almonds, walnut, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, melon seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
- Beverages– Water, coconut water, freshly pressed fruit/vegetable juice, homemade smoothies, green tea, herbal tea, detox drinks, and black coffee.
- Herbs And Spices– Cilantro, dill, fennel, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaf, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and mustard.